Millions of people cannot digest a certain sugar in milk and milk products called lactose. If you are one of them, you have lactose intolerance.
Lactose intolerance involves the digestive system:
If you have it, your body doesn’t make lactase, the enzyme needed to digest lactose. That’s the sugar in milk. Instead of digesting normally in your stomach and small intestine, undigested lactose moves into your colon, where it’s broken down by bacteria and causes bloating and gas.
The condition isn’t harmful, but it can be uncomfortable and may be embarrassing. There’s no cure, but you can manage it by watching how much milk or milk products you drink or eat.
At lina’s and Dina’s we work intently to making sure that you are not suffering from lactose intolerance and if you are suffering from this kind of intolerance we provide you with the best diet that is suitable for you .
Some symptoms of lactose intolerance are diarrhea, Nausea; sometimes vomiting, abdominal cramps, Bloating, Gas.
Moreover there are two common tests for adults to test lactose intolerance:
- Breathe test. This will show if you have high levels of hydrogen when you exhale. If you do, you might be lactose intolerant. That’s because hydrogen is given off when lactose is broken down in the colon. The hydrogen gets taken by the blood up to your lungs, and then you exhale it.
- Blood test. This can show how your body reacts after you drink something with a lot of lactose.
- What you can do if you have lactose intolerance ?
There are lots of lactose-free dairy products at the supermarket. Or you can take commonly found over-the-counter supplements (like Lactaid) to break down the milk sugars if you still want the real thing.
But if you give up milk completely, you can still get plenty of calcium, vitamin D and other nutrients in a healthy diet.
At Lina’s and Dina’s center dietitians provide you with the best diet in case you suffer from lactose intolerance. Through diet dietitian substitute milk with other foods like :
- Dried beans
- Calcium-fortified orange juice and soy milk
- Fatty fish, like salmon, tuna
- Egg yolks